The Basics of Instagram Reels & Short-Form VideoJanuary 4, 2023
Want to learn the basics of Instagram Reels & short-form video? Let’s go!
- Start with a clear concept: As with any video, it’s important to have a clear idea of what you want your Reel to be about before you start filming. This will help you stay focused and ensure that your final product is cohesive.
- Know who you are speaking to: Give context to your video. Tell your audience who your specific video is for that way they know if they need to scroll or keep listening. The last thing you want to do is annoy your audience.
- Keep it short: Instagram Reels are meant to be short and punchy, so aim to keep your Reel under 30 seconds. It is best to have a strong HOOK in the beginning to grab and keep attention. Cut out breaths and ‘ums’ wherever possible. Create movement in your Reels to keep attention until the end. (example of a hook: “Did you know that…” or “The secret to…”)
- Use visuals: Visuals can be a powerful way to communicate your message and engage your audience. Consider using graphics, animation, or other types of visual aids to supplement your Reel. ALWAYS include captions if you are speaking. Stickers can be a fun addition too!
- Edit wisely: Editing is a crucial step in the Reel creation process. Take the time to review your footage and cut out any unnecessary shots or sections. This will help you keep your Reel tight and focused.
- Use music and other effects: Instagram Reels allow you to add music and other effects to your videos. Choose a catchy song and consider using text and stickers to add some personality to your Reel. Remember, Instagram is heavily rewarding original content, so use trending sounds & trends sparingly.
- Include a Call-to-Action: Tell people what you want them to do after they are done watching….is it comment? DM? Ask a question? Call? Click link in bio? What are the next steps?
- Promote your Reel: Once your Reel is finished, be sure to share it on Facebook and in your IG stories for more traction. You can also consider promoting your Reel through paid advertising to reach a wider audience in your area.
Are you creating IG Reels or other short-form video content? Short-form video has the highest ROI of any social content strategy in 2022 (*data source Hubspot). Whoa!
If you aren’t, you’re definitely missing the boat 🛥️. Need help getting started? Connect with your WFG Sales Rep or MTD team to get moving.
Need content ideas? Check out our recent post on this topic – Never Run Out Of Content Ideas Again